Saturday, May 10, 2008

On missing JavaOne 08

As I write this JavaOne 08 is being wrapped up and I am horizontal in bed. I somehow managed to get pleurisy and pneumonia a few days before the event so missed it completely.

Luckily, the awesome Guillaume Laforge delivered my talks on Groovy and Grails instead of me, but sorry to those who were expecting to see me there, health comes first in this case.

It seems to have been another successful conference from what I could infer from the twitter feed and various blog postings. Was nice to hear Groovy in Action was 3rd and The Definitive Guide to Grails 6th of the best seller list after day 1.

On that topic of the books, being bed bound for a couple of weeks has given me the chance (when I'm not sleeping and feeling too ill) to spend some time planning and writing the second edition of the "The Definitive Guide..".

I'm co-authoring with Scott Davis, so the book should be bigger badder and more impressive this time. Target release date is the end of the year. Lets hope the codene doesn't make my ramblings to incoherent!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a good recovery. Don't rush back to work too soon. Cheers.

Dan Allen said...

Sorry to have missed you, but as you said, LaForge did a great job with the talk. Actually, the case study by LinkedIn that followed was even more impressive.

As a developer committed to the Java platform, I am glad to see Groovy continue to improve. Call me lazy, but I just don't want to have to start back at square one with something like Ruby or Python. Groovy gives me room to grow.

Anonymous said...

that book will be very welcome.
would not be amiss if it contains
a printout of the reference guide
as appendix - IMO.

i like venkats book because it's so
compact and focuses more on the big picture than details.

all the best

Tcl said...

first hope you get well soon ;)

regarding the talks from where can we download them or view them

and regarding the new book, will this be an indepth style book, or more of a learning by example coobook?

Graeme Rocher said...

@tclwarrior
I have no idea where you can download the talks, I think Sun tend to announce when and if they are available

@all

Thanks get well soon messages, as for the book we're working on it. It is due out at the end of the year and is an "in depth" style book I would say

Steve said...

I'm sorry to have missed you as well, and agree with an earlier poster that M. Laforge picked up the slack quite nicely. Thanks for all your work on the project, and get well soon.

Anonymous said...

I hope you get well soon.

Perhaps this is an opportunity to recruit more people to fix bugs on Grails so that process is not so dependent on your time.

Anonymous said...

why can't you release the book as a part of early access program?

I mean everybody does that - Manning, pragmatic - I'm sure there will be lot of demand - I will buy the version right away!

Graeme Rocher said...

Its not up to me it is up to my publisher Apress so I would forward this query to them. Also for the first edition they did a beta book as a PDF so I imagine they may do the same here.

Fred said...
This comment has been removed by the author.